HomeAbout BBPDMeet the StaffMission StatementContact UsPound PageFirearm Purchase CertificatesDepartment HistoryMore HistoryBBPD PhotosMore PhotosD.A.R.E.Frequently Asked QuestionsRoad ConditionsSex Offender Registry




To the Broken Bow Police Department Website!


On behalf of the Broken Bow, Nebraska Police Department, I welcome you to our website.


     I encourage you to take your time and you will find this site to be very helpful and informative.


     This website is an example of the increased technology used by our department as a tool to assist us in providing the highest level of service possible to our community.


     I hope your visits to brokenbowpolice.com are beneficial. We will update the website regularly to help you stay up to date on the latest information.


   Chief Steve Scott


Click here to check out our Facebook page


 Keep our city looking clean!

             Summer is in full swing and vegetation is growing fast!

            Police Chief Steve Scott would like to remind local citizens that city ordinances require removal of tall weeds, litter, stagnant water, junk cars, machines and appliances in yards.

          “On behalf of the Broken Bow Police Department, I’d like to ask property owners and renters for their cooperation in keeping our city safe and clean,” Chief Scott said. “This includes property with buildings, as well as vacant lots.”

          Under ordinances #133.02, #133.05 and #133.43, Notice of Abatements can be issued to those who do not maintain their property according to the standards set forth. If the property is not cleaned up after written Notice to Abate, the city can have the cleanup done and the work can be assessed against the property or the cost can be recovered in a civil action.

          These ordinances prohibit:

  • Any vegetation of 12 inches or more in height

  • Standing or stagnant water

  • Litter, trash, building rubble, worthless vegetation (except for ground mulch or compost piles), offal, dead animals and junk machines or junk vehicles or parts of machines or vehicles.

  • Partially dismantled, inoperable or unlicensed vehicles. These vehicles cannot be kept on property within city limits for longer than 30 days unless they are stored in an enclosed building, in an appropriate city storage place or on the premises of a business and are necessary to the lawful operation of the business.

  • Refrigerators, iceboxes, freezers or any other dangerous appliance that are open and accessible to children whether on private or public property unless all doors are removed to make the appliances reasonably safe.

    If you have any questions about these city ordinances, feel free to contact Chief Scott at 308-872-6424.



 Take Back Day is success!

     Broken Bow Police Department collected 63 pounds of unwanted prescription drugs on Saturday, April 26, as part of the National Prescription Drug Take Back Day.

     "This is the first time we held this event, which turned out to be a great success," Chief Steve Scott said. "We were vey pleased with the community's participation." 

     BBPD was one of the agencies participating in the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) program that encourages local citizens to dispose of unwanted, unused or outdated prescription drugs in a safe and responsible way. The prescription drugs were collected at the police department for disposal by the DEA as a service that is free and anonymous. According to the DEA, the Take Back program addresses a vital public service and public health issue. Medicines that languish in home medicine cabinets are highly susceptible to diversion, misuse and abuse. Usual methods of disposing of unused medicines -- flushing them down the toilet or throwing them in the trash -- both pose potential safety and health hazards. 


Stop when lights are flashing

From the desk of Chief Scott... 

Don't pass stopped vehicles at school crossing lights

     When you are driving and see a vehicle stopped at the flashing yellow lights at a school crossing, STOP your vehicle and do not pass the vehicle in front of you.

     It’s been brought to my attention that some drivers are passing vehicles that are stopped for flashing yellow lights, putting students in danger. If a vehicle is stopped at the yellow flashing lights, assume that there are children crossing the street.

      Yellow lights are activated during hours when children are likely to be going to and from school. If you see the lights flashing, be prepared to stop. If someone is already stopped in front of you, stop your vehicle behind them.

      Passing a vehicle that is stopped at a school crossing is a very dangerous situation and can result in a citation for the driver who is passing.



Questions about handgun permits? Click on our Firearm Purchase Certificates page

City Tree Dump - End of S 13th Ave

Disposing of yard debris

Broken Bow city residents who need to dispose of branches, grass clippings, etc., can take their debris to the City Tree Dump, which is located on the south end of South 13th Avenue.

     Spring and summer hours of operation are Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 12 noon and from 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

     Winter hours (from Nov. 15 through March 31) are Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays from 1 to 5:30 p.m.

Fees are based on the size of your load.


Eye on Crime

Broken Bow Police Department actively seeks information on local crime. If you have information to share, please contact Police Chief Steve Scott at 308-872-6424 or at policechief@brokenbowpolice.com 
All reports will remain anonymous.


Broken Bow ordinance requires numbered addresses


     Broken Bow property owners are required to post numbered addresses on all buildings within the city limits, according to a new city ordinance which went into effect on June 1, 2011.

     The law states that the street number addresses must be placed in public view on all residences or buildings facing any street or avenue within the city limits. The numbers shall be no less than three inches high by two inches wide, shall be legible and shall be made of metal or some other durable material. The colors of the numbers shall be in contrast to the background. Numbers are to be plainly visible from the street.

     Any person violating this ordinance shall be fined up to $100 for each offense.    


Dogs must have tags

Miranda Dunkel with her dog, Peace

     If you own a dog within the city limits of Broken Bow, your dog needs a city dog tag.

     Police Chief Steve Scott reminds Broken Bow residents that City Ordinance requires that any owner of a dog over the age of six months within the city shall, within 30 days after acquisition of the dog, acquire a city dog license (tag). 

     Dog tags are due every year by May 1, but they are available yearround for $5 each at Broken Bow Police Department.  If you haven't gotten your tags yet, stop down and pick them up at BBPD, which is located at 116 South 11th Avenue, Broken Bow, Nebraska.   Tags for 2012 are good until May 1, 2013.

     When purchasing the tags, dog owners need to bring proof of their dog's current rabies vaccination.       

     In the photo at left is Miranda Dunkel with her dog, Peace.               

Horizontal Divider 1

Click here to sign up for Code Red weather warnings.


Eye on Crime
Broken Bow Police Department actively seeks tips on suspects or crimes. If you have information to provide, please call 872-6424 or write to policechief@brokenbowpolice.com 


Permits, licenses available             Gun permits, dog tags and bicycyle licenses are all available at the Broken Bow Police Department. For more information on licenses and permits, see Frequently Asked Questions.



Click Here: To estimate your Blood Alcohol Content